Your privacy is important to us and we are committed to being open and transparent about how we manage personal information that is collected through the Metro website, www.metroexpress.com.au or directly from you in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and with all relevant legislation (as amended from time to time).
Our ability to effectively process your data is reliant on true, complete and accurate information provided by you. In order to protect your privacy and security, we will not update your information unless we are able to verify your identity through your name, date of birth, and email address.
The types of information we collect:
- Your name;
- Your gender;
- Your contact details including phone number, address and email address;
- Your date of birth;
- Your driver’s licence;
- Work experience;
- Incidents at the workplace;
- Your banking information;
- Working visa details;
- Other information received or obtained by us in connection with possible and actual work placements.
We may collect personal or sensitive information about you in the following circumstances:
- When you complete an employment registration form or provide other information in connection with your application;
- Over the telephone;
- Through the post;
- We receive any employment or character reference about you from a third party;
- We receive results of investigations we may make of you with your former employers, work colleagues, professional associations or registration body;
- We receive the results of any competency or medical test, drug test, or background checks including credit and criminal background checks;
- We receive any complaint or other information from or about you in the workplace;
- We receive information about any insurance investigation, litigation, disciplinary matter, criminal matter, inquest or inquiry in which you are involved;
- We receive information about a workplace incident in which you are involved;
- We collect information about you from public domain sources;
- You provide us with any additional information about you.
Your personal or sensitive information may be used in connection with:
- An actual or possible work placement;
- Any assessment of your ongoing performance;
- Any testing or assessment you may be required to undergo;
- Identification of your training needs;
- Management or resolution of complaints, inquiries, investigations you may be involved in;
- Any insurance claim requiring disclosure of your personal and sensitive information;
- Undertaking criminal reference checks and other background checks;
- Our direct marketing to you;
- To keep your records up to date;
- To communicate with you about employment and possible work opportunities;
- Measuring the effectiveness and usage of the Metro website;
- Contacting you in relation to comments, complaints, enquiries or dispute resolution;
- Internal record keeping;
- Compliance with legal requirements.
You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time but it will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal. This withdrawal may also impact on our ability to provide you with possible employment opportunities and may result in withdrawing any applications you may have.
Your personal or sensitive information may be used in connection with:
- External providers of online training and induction;
- Background checking agencies;
- Our insurers;
- A professional association or registration body with a proper interest in the disclosure of your personal information;
- A Workers Compensation body; and
- Any person with a lawful entitlement to obtain the information.
Metro will not disclose your personal information unless it is required, incidental or otherwise related to the primary purpose of your employment applications.
Metro may disclose your personal information to our business partners who assist in providing prospective employment to you.
If Metro is required to disclose your personal information, to the extent required under law, including but not limited to in connection with legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings, and to establish or defend Metro’s rights, Metro will notify you of this disclosure.
In order to protect the privacy of any children, we require parental or guardian consent for all children under the age of 18 for employment purposes and to be able to use their personal information. No information will be handled without this explicit consent. If this consent is not provided, we will promptly remove any personal information provided from our database.
Processing of anonymised or de-identified information
We sometimes anonymise or de-identify information by removing all of the personally-identifiable information such as your name, date of birth and address. We may then use this de-identified information
for the purpose of auditing, quality assurance and research on the basis that they are anonymous and unidentifiable.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
How is your personal information kept secure?
Metro has in place the appropriate technological and operational security processes that are designed to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, alteration or destruction. Only authorised employees will have access to any data that you provide, and that access is limited by need. Each employee that has access to your personal information is obliged to maintain its confidentiality. Electronic information is stored on a secure server that is protected in controlled facilities, and documents and papers are stored and locked under key for as long as they are required. When your electronic information is no longer required, it is destroyed. When your physical information is no longer required, it is placed in a locked confidential security bin and destroyed or shredded.
Although Metro takes industry-standard steps to protect your personal information, Metro cannot guarantee that your personally-identifiable information will not become accessible to unauthorised persons.
Metro will not be held responsible for events arising from unauthorised access to your personal information.
How long do we hold onto your personal information?
If Metro does not employ you, Metro may continue to retain and use your personal information for a period of time for system administration purposes and to perform research. When this period expires, we will retain a minimum amount of your personal information to record your recruiting activity with us. Additionally, we may ask you for permission to retain your personal data to consider you for future employment opportunities.
You are able to request us to destroy to your personal information at any time, but you acknowledge that this may impact on our ability to provide services to you. Your personal information will then be destroyed, with the exception of your deletion request, a confirmation that the information was deleted and any data required in order for us to meet our legal obligations.
Are you able to request information or make changes?
You may ask us at any time to provide you with a list of the personal information we hold about you, and for copies of that personal information. We will endeavour to provide you with the data within 30 days of receiving your request. For more complicated matters, we may need to extend this deadline to 60 days.
We will endeavour to provide these requests free of charge.
If you believe for any reason that we are holding inaccurate or incomplete data about you, you may ask us to correct it. We will consider if the information requires amendment. If we do not agree that there are grounds for amendment, then we will add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree with it.
Our ability to effectively process your data is reliant on true, complete and accurate information provided by you at the time that you engage us to provide the services. We will not update your information unless we are able to verify your identify through your name, date of birth and email address; or if you have previously knowingly provided us with false information regarding your identity.
- I understand that the information that I have provided to Metro will be used to assess whether I am suitable for employment for the position in question and other positions that may be suitable for my capabilities and qualifications;
- I understand that information that is contained in my resume or from notes taken during interviews, psychological assessments, background checks, and referee comments will be given to Metro;
- I give permission for my information to be retained by Metro for consideration for future positions;
- I understand that referees provided by me may be contacted and information provided by those referees may be used to assist in assessing my suitability for this and other roles;
- I declare that I have valid Australian work rights and/or the appropriate visa to work legally in Australia. If my visa status changes, I will notify Metro immediately.
You can make enquiries, exercise your rights to access/delete, or correct your information, or make a complaint about alleged breaches of the Australian Privacy Principles by contacting us using the information below:
By phone: + 61 7 3875 2604
Unit 8, 1645 Ipswich Road
Rocklea QLD 4106
By Fax: + 61 7 3277 4159
Each request or complaint will be dealt with confidentially and we will be in contact with you within a reasonable time
Last Updated: 02/11/2018